Chocolate and seed flapjacks from Sarah Martin
Regular blogger Sarah Martin shares her latest recipe with us. Perfect for this time of year.
Chocolate and seed flapjacks
• 1 tsp. vanilla extract
• 1/2 cup coconut oil or vegan / vegetable spread
• 1/4 pure maple syrup
• 1/4 cup non-dairy milk (almond is our preference)
• 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa or cacao powder
• 2 1/2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
• 1/4 cup millet flakes
• 1/2 cup mixed seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, flax)
• Pre-heat your oven to 150 degrees C.
• Line a 9inch by 9 inch baking tray.
• Place the dates in a hot water and allow to soak for 20 minutes.
• Meanwhile, place the coconut oil/ spread, maple syrup, almond milk, vanilla essence and cocoa powder in a saucepan and gently heat on the hob until combined, then add the cashew butter and mix until it has melted.
• Blend the dates with about 1/2 Tbsp of the soaked water in a Nutribullet or blender until smooth. Add to the liquid mixture and mix until combined.
• Add the oat flakes, millet flakes & seeds to the mixture and stir until combined.
• Pour the the mixture into the prepared baking tray and press down evenly making sure it reaches the sides and corners.
• Place in the oven for about 20 minutes or until a slightly darken brown on top. It will firm up whilst cooling.
• Place on a cool rack and cut into squares whilst still warm. Leave to cool completely before removing from the tray.
• Store in an airtight container for a week to 10 days.